Authorising Making Tax Digital
Error 403 - Client or Agent not Authorised
Article ID: 2025240 Last updated: 15 July 2022
When authorising Making Tax Digital, or attempting to Set VAT Period, you may receive the following error:
Resolving MTD Error 403
1. If you have previously submitted VAT returns for the affected company from AccountEdge, go to step 3.
2. Have you signed the affected company up to Making Tax Digital?
- If you have not yet signed up to Making Tax Digital, you can do so by clicking here.
- If you are not sure whether you have signed up for Making Tax Digital, check your company's online VAT account or contact HMRC. If you are sure your business is signed up for MTD, go to step 3.
3. If your business has been signed up for MTD or you have previously submitted VAT returns for the affected company from AccountEdge, please logon to the company's government gateway account and confirm the following:
- Your company's account is fully setup for Making Tax Digital.
- You are informed that you can no longer make manually entered online VAT submissions.
- You can see previous VAT return submissions made from AccountEdge for the affected company, if applicable.
- The company's VAT Registration Number in AccountEdge matches that of the government gateway account for the affected company.
- In short, are you using the correct government gateway account with which to authorise AccountEdge for MTD?
4. If your online account appears to be correct, please do the following:
- Make a backup of your company file.
- In AccountEdge, go to Setup> Company VAT Information and untick 'I use AccountEdge for MTD VAT Return submissions'.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Go back into Setup> Company VAT Information and re-tick 'I use AccountEdge for MTD VAT Return submissions'.
- Re-authorise your company file for Making Tax Digital using the instructions here.
5. If the problem remains, please contact HMRC directly and ask them to:
- Check and confirm the registration details and status of your gateway account for the affected company.
- Check and confirm that your business VAT account is not linked to any other HMRC services or accounts, such as personal self assessment accounts, or similar.
- Check for any problems with your MTD security token.
Return to AccountEdge Support